 General / 56125
56124  |  56126
Subject:
The First Model LEGO Sets...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2013 16:52:42 GMT

When TLG first started the LEGO System of Play in 1955, TLG immediately created
4 small spare parts pack size LEGO sets (1210, 1211, 1212, 1213).  But the first
real model sets came out a year or two later in 1956-57.

These were larger Town Plan era sets, and consisted of a Esso Service Station
Set (#310/#1310), a VW Repair Service Set (#306/#1306), a VW Showroom Set
(#307/#1307), the very first LEGO Fire Station Set (#308/#1308), and the first
and only LEGO Chruch set (#309/#1309).

These sets were mainly sold with 4 digit numbers in Scandinavia from 1956-58,
and 3 digit numbers elsewhere in Europe (and later Australia).  Then starting in
1958 all countries used the same 3 digit set numbers.

As always... there was an exception to the rule (there always is with LEGO!!)...
and some sets in Germany started out as 4 digit set numbers as well, and later
switched to 3 digits.

This early complex history of the first true LEGO Model Sets... has many box top
variations, which are NOT mentioned in any online LEGO database.

I posted this in Eurobricks (English) and 1000steine (German)...

Eurobricks...
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83307&st=25

1000steine (in German)...
http://www.1000steine.de/de/gemeinschaft/forum/?entry=1&id=292135#id292135

Some of these boxes I have only seen for the first time this week... and will be
added to my next Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide download version...
whose upgrades will be free to current owners of my DVD/download.

From now on this will only be a download (688MB takes only 6-15 minutes to
download)... since new/old items are found almost weekly.

Someone recently asked if all of the LEGO sets off all time have yet been
found... my reply "not by a long shot!!"  There are always old and new unknown
items found... and the folks at TLG don't have everything in their
database/collections.  There's still a big world of rare items out there yet to
be discovered (now that we found classic LEGO windows/doors in green, orange and
dark blue... I'm expecting a discovery of Norwegian ones in pink and sky blue!).

So people who have my LEGO DVD or download will be getting free future upgrades
... on and on into the future... as a desktop icon type download.

Happy hunting... still finding new and old stuff every week... ;)

Cheers,
Gary Istok

P.S.  Also improving my LEGO DVD/download chapter on FAKE LEGO items..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68072414@N03/6249221972/sizes/l/