 General / 55770
55769  |  55771
Subject:
Classifying LEGO Connection Types
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:44:27 GMT

Hi, all -

For a statistical analysis I'm interested in performing I want to be able to
classify LEGO elements based only on their connection type (as opposed to size,
shape, color, etc.) For example, for the purposes of my analysis, all pieces
such as a 1x1 brick that had both at least one stud and one tube (or receiving
connection for a stud) would be of the same type. So this type would include all
plain bricks and plates, for example, regardless of shape or size, as well as
pieces with modifications that do not affect connectivity (like palisade bricks)
Another type would be elements that had tubes but no studs - like all tile
pieces, 1x2 grills and so forth.

Anyway, to get started on this, I've made a quick list of some of the common
connection types that popped to mind along with a possible term to stand for
that type of connection. It is not complete, I know, and I'm hoping I might get
some suggestions for additions, OR if anyone has already done this work and can
point me to it, that would be great, too:

Stud = S  - fits into a tube
Tube = T - receives a stud
Clip = C - receives a bar
Bar = B - fits a clip
Hollow stud = H - receives a bar
Pinhole = Ph - receives a pin or cross axle
Cross Axle Hole = Xh - receives a cross axle (but not a pin)
Cross Axle = X - axle of any length with an x-shaped cross-section
Pin = P - fits into a pinhole, either loose or with friction
Tire = D - soft rubber or plastic tire that attaches by friction around a wheel
Wheel = W - of any size and type that holds a soft tire (a one-piece or hard
plastic wheel that does not take a tire would not have a "wheel" connection in
this scheme - it would only be classified by its axle hole type. A pulley would
have a "wheel" connection, however)
Geartooth = Z - of any size
Metal Axle Pin = A - as found on old-type one-piece wheels
Metal Axle Pin hole = Ah - as found on old-type axle-holding blocks
Magnet = M
Wheel Pin = Wp - small wheel pins
Wheel Pin Hole = Wph - wheel holes that receive small wheel pins
Fingers = F - 2- and 3-finger hinge pieces
Towball = Tb
Towball Receiver = Tbr

So in usage, these terms could be strung together to indicate the type of
connections any one piece has, then I can sort pieces that have identical
connection types. A 1x1 brick would be ST, for example. A 1x1 tile with a clip
would be CT.

Just interested in "official" connection types.

Thanks,
Don