 General / 55645
55644  |  55646
Subject:
4x2ReVu: 7931 T-6 Jedi Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:24:54 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The shuttle barely breaks through the planet’s atmosphere and is immediately set upon by three Cathar assassin ships. Photons fly and quickly the shuttle drops, spiraling to its doom, but the assassins have been paid to ensure this job is complete so they follow the smoking craft closely. In an instant the shuttle makes an impossible upward spin from its spiral, catching two of the craft in the spinning updraft to lose control and collide in a massive ball of flame. The third assassin realizes the ruse almost too late but jets forward through the flames and wreckage of his companions to close on the shuttle. But again the shuttle does the impossible for a ship its size and tips on it’s own nose holding itself for just the slightest moment in space, the Cathar ship passes where the shuttle should have been and is incinerated in a blast of energy from the shuttle thrusters. The third Cathar ship explodes…and the shuttle safely proceeds toward its destination.
Most shuttles couldn’t do such impossible feats with the limited thrust capabilities and wide wings of a transport shuttle, but few pilots possess the flying prowess of Jedi Master Saesee Tiin!

My earliest Lego collections focused on Castle and Space themes. While I’m not a huge fan of the Lego Group’s ‘selling out’ to Star Wars and other big name companies for set ideas and promotions, darn it if the Star Wars ships aren’t some of the coolest space ship designs to hit shelves since the original Blacktron and Space Police sets. The most recent Star Wars stuff is so darn cool (and expensive!) that I’ve had to narrow down my list of ‘wants’ to the absolute coolest sets (in my opinion, of course) and the 7931 Jedi Shuttle is one of the sets that bubbled to the top. The $60 price tag played a big part in my not originally buying the set, but the recent sale price at a certain toy store chain put the model closer to $50 which I felt was worth the purchase.

The 7931 set is comprised of a single space ship model and four figures. The model design is particularly unique in that the central body features wings that (through a rotating band located midship) allow the wings to rotate as a single planar structure around the body. In this way the wings can be positioned horizontally like a standard plane, or vertically like a large fin. The rotating center reminded me of the earliest 7180 B-wing model, but where that structure was flimsy, this is vastly superior in maintaining a sturdy connection to the rotating parts and at the same time allowing for a sturdy (not flimsy/loose) rotation.

Other features of the ship include the central cockpit seating one fig, three rear thrusters and flick missiles that can be launched by tapping either the right or left thruster when the wings are in vertical position (I found the tapping of the thrusters more acceptable than the standard manual flicking action). The craft also features a small landing strut that can be flipped down when not in flight to balance the craft in a landed position.

I found it a bit surprising that the cockpit only fit one figure. Where the set comes with four figures and a ‘shuttle’ connotes being able to transport bodies, it would have been great if at least two of the figures could have fit inside the ship (and GREAT if all four could have fit--accommodations for all four couldn’t have required more than 40-50 more pieces, could they?).

Anyway, despite my misgiving about the seating capacity of the craft, the overall design is VERY good. Colors are kept to a minimum with basic white being highlighted with red and some minor grey bits. The cockpit consists of a considerable amount of laterally placed plates that really enhance the streamline body and will provide some great alternate model inspiration for builders. There’s even the minor detail of a technic wheel/disk and sticker used as insignia on one of the wings (very nice touch!).

Each figure comes with their own light saber (three blue blades, one light green) and the box touts the first appearance of Jedi Knights Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin. In assembling the figures, I don’t recall previously seeing the hairpiece that was used for Obiwan (short, straight hair--keep in mind this is my first set with this particular figure) and the two headpieces for Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin are definitely new: Shaak Ti’s features two horns pointing up, with two ‘pigtails’ in front and a single tail hanging down the back, while Saesee Tiin’s headpiece features two horns that turn down toward the front.

The collection of parts for this set is great. There are mostly plates but it’s nice how the designer was not economical with the disbursement (where a single plate could have been used in some spots, multiple plates are used instead). A sticker sheet is included (mostly for wing decoration).

Despite it being less than four hundred pieces, there is a definite sense of ‘art’ about the piece. Like the 7888 Bat Tumbler, this is a model that needs to be built (rather than just seen in pictures) to be appreciated. For the design itself this model is worth more than just the sum of its parts (I’m talking to ship fanatics, not figure collectors).
Bottom line is that this is a ‘must-have’ for any space collection but try you’re best to pick it up at a discounted price (even getting it without the figures is going to be worth the discounted price!).

!!! 4x2ReVu Stats !!!
Rating: Seven out of eight studs
Pros: Beautiful design that borders on a piece of art, four cool figures with light sabers.
Cons: Price is atrocious. Come on TLG, let’s have a reasonable price so more folks can own one of these without having to wait for a sale or clearance.
Walletwise: 389 pieces for around $60.
Date: 2/22/11