 General / 55643
55642  |  55644
Subject:
LEGOLAND Florida to Begin Hiring 1,000 Workers Soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 01:18:12 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGOLAND Florida to Begin Hiring 1,000 Workers Soon

By Kyle Kennedy
The Ledger
February 11, 2011

WINTER HAVEN: LEGOLAND Florida plans to get busy hiring about 1,000 “model citizens” before the theme park opens in October.

LEGOLAND officials announced new senior leadership staff Friday and said hiring will now ramp up for all aspects of park operations.

“The bulk of our employees joining us will be this summer starting in June ... so we can get them trained and ready for October,” said Jackie Wallace, a LEGOLAND spokeswoman.

Positions that are open include admissions, ride maintenance and back office workers. Wallace wouldn’t give specifics but said pay and benefits will be competitive with other area theme parks.

A number of Sea World and Busch Gardens positions currently advertised online start at roughly $8 per hour. LEGOLAND is posting jobs online at www.LEGOLAND.com/jobs and will take applications only through the website, Wallace said. She said the park has hired only about 75 employees thus far.

The senior management hires announced Friday include a number of Florida theme park veterans. They are:

Jan Mahoney, director of operations. Mahoney, a Florida native, helped opened LEGOLAND California in Carlsbad in the late 1990s and previously spent 14 years in various operational roles with Busch Gardens in Tampa.

Kim Jensen, director of food and beverage. Jensen is relocating from LEGOLAND Deutschland and has more than 23 years experience with LEGOLAND parks.

Teresa Vaughn, director of human resources. Vaughn is a local hire with more than 20 years of theme park experience with Walt Disney World and SeaWorld Orlando. Most recently she worked with Lakeland-based Bunch & Associates.

Erik Hendrickson, director of retail. His retail resume includes stints with Universal Studios and LEGO, where he oversaw operational support for 25 of LEGO retail store and warehouse facilities.

David Johnson, director of finance. Johnson previously worked at Warwick Castle, a UK resort theme park owned by LEGOLAND parent Merlin Entertainments Group.

The new hires join Kim Isemann, director of sales and marketing; and Jim Miller, director of ride maintenance, as part of the management team reporting to LEGOLAND Florida General Manager Adrian Jones.

“After interviewing internal and external candidates from around the globe, I know that we’ve hired the absolutely best leadership team possible,” Jones said in a prepared statement. “With this excellent team now in place, we can begin filling the park with model citizens (employees).”

theledger.com

-end of report-