 General / 55634
Re: RTL/ATL Archive?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2011 00:39:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
So, I'd love to browse RTL/ATL history. Google groups technically has a way to
do this-- browsing groups with their web interface:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.toys.lego/topics?hl=en&start=60&sa=N

Then, you just adjust the "start" parameter, and bingo, you're backwards in
history however far you want to go:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.toys.lego/topics?hl=en&start=40000&sa=N

However, a few problems.

1) It thinks I'm a bot after browsing for some number of pages. Click "Older" or
"Newer" so many times in a certain timeframe, and you trigger a bot warning.

2) The posts are grouped by topic. These are annoying since:
2a) Some can be incorrectly classified (IIRC this happens now-and-again with
newsreaders)
2b) The topic is ordered by the date of the LAST post. So if someone replied
today to a topic from 1996, it would move the topic ALL the way to the front of
the list.
2c) If the subject changes halfway through, there's no mention of the subject
change in Google's condensed view.

3) I'm sick of clicking "Newer", "Newer", "Newer", "Newer", until my fingers
bleed. ... Or until it accuses me of being a bot.

Anyone here have any ideas on how to get the full archives for ATL/RTL? I
shamefully haven't yet tried connecting to various NNTP servers to see how much
history they have-- but I recall that most places didn't keep archives back all
that long.  Maybe that's changed since disk space and bandwidth are cheaper
these days, but I honestly don't know.

Thoughts?

DaveE

"Jedi DaveE, you can do it.  The force is strong with you.  Bleeding fingers is
a sign of being a Ninja master of knowledge."

I don't know how to get full archives of ATL/RTL.  I try it few years ago.  At a
time when few old search engines were still around.

I really had to think by using other search engines besides Google, Bing, Ask,
and others.

-Abner