 General / 55570
55569  |  55571
Subject:
Lego manger and request for help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2010 23:22:34 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

To The Lego Community,

Our church is raising funds to build a duplex home in Haiti during this Christmas season and we wish to build a Lego model as a representation of our fund-raising efforts. The idea is to construct the Haitian duplex using Lego blocks in place of our traditional manger and as an indicator of the amount of money raised and how much more need to be raised. I am looking for someone who might be able to loan us the bricks in order to build our model (listed below).

For the past three years, St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Hope Valley, Rhode Island has worked with Food For The Poor to help the people in Haiti. During this time, our church raised over $150,000 to build a village of 15 duplexes with latrines, a community center and a community well. In addition, we later raised over $20,000 for an agricultural project allowing the village to be self supporting. And after the devastating earthquake we again raised $16,364 to help Catholic Relief Services and their efforts in Haiti. Both the village and agricultural project are locating near Cape Haitien in the North of Haiti and were unaffected by the earthquake in Port-Au-Prince.

This Christmas effort to build a home for another two families is a continuation of our efforts. The central focus of our Christmas decorations is our manger, a home for two tired travelers and the baby Jesus. We found it fitting to replace our traditional manger with one constructed of Legos as we together make the effort to symbolically build a home in our church for the Holy Family and physically build a home for two families in Haiti.

I’ve rendered one half of the duplex home as shown below. My Lego Haitian home is modeled after the actual home built in Haiti, also shown here.

We would be extremely thankful to those whom could assist us in our efforts and allow us to borrow the Legos to build this model. I can provide more information if requested. If you are able to help us please contact me by either posting here or via email as noted below. Thanks again and God Bless.

Ed Manlove
Member of the St. Joseph’s Haiti Committee and St. Joseph Parishioner
emanlove at ieee dot org

Kiki Latimer
Chairperson of the St. Joseph’s Haiti Committee and St. Joseph Parishioner

Emily Naumovski
St. Joseph’s contact at Food for the Poor

No.
   Color
   Part no.
   Part name