 General / 55443
55442  |  55444
Subject:
4x2ReVu: 7591 Construct A Zurg
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 22:20:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The castle is dark today. Darker than usual as yet another plot has been thwarted by ‘that bubble-headed, do-gooder of ‘cur command’’. The stairways are darkened, and a thick, almost palpable mist of frustration enshrouds the parapets of this ancient edifice. The entire upper levels of the fortress are not traversable, due to the atmosphere of darkness and dread (the mere concept of light is either siphoned off by a seething powerful and horrible anger or the sense of self-preservation driven home to even the most non-sentient power-supplying equipment).
But rest assured, evil-doing allies. The wheels are turning, machinations are brewing. And it won’t be long at all before steps of the Master’s next plan are in motion to thrust the entire galaxy into a vortex of mayhem and madness from which none shall return. Least of all, the pitiful and pathetic so called ‘heroes’ of Star Command!!!

With the recent purchase of a 7592 Construct a Buzz, it was pretty much a given that I’d pick up a Zurg figure. Imagine my amazement when the few stores I went to didn’t have a Zurg to buy! (Buzz was actually my second choice, I would have picked up a Zurg first if I could have more easily found one.) Of particular note is the absence of any Zurg models at any of the TRU stores nearby (though there are plenty of Buzz models to be found). This seems like an odd occurrence and I’m left to wonder if it’s the ordering practice of the particular stores I’ve been visiting or if the Lego group knowingly manufactured less Zurgs than Buzz’s. As luck would have it, Walmart finally stocked some more and even put them on sale (though I still paid a little more than I would have liked for the model).

The 7591 main model is deceptively simple but makes a very good replica of Buzz Lightyear’s nemesis, from the odd-shaped almost-cylindrical body and cloth cape, to the tapering head and hand-held ion blaster (though the original design of that is somewhat altered to be replaced by an orb-shooting launcher). The set also comes with a small green alien figure. No stickers come with the set, all decorated parts are preprinted.

The parts that make up Zurg are a good assortment of plates, slopes, cylinder halves and ball-and-socket joints. There just aren’t enough parts with this set alone to make anything other than Zurg. My main (and only) complaint about this set is the atrocious price one is asked to pay. $25 for 118 pieces is simply not acceptable. I’m sure someone could buy the necessary pieces separately for right around $10.00 (though some essential parts would need to be purple which is going to see those parts skyrocket in value unnecessarily). As far as I can tell, the only parts that are unique to Zurg are his ‘crown’, the cloth cape and ion blaster. I’m thinking the high price arises from the fact that the Construct a Buzz cost the same amount (still slightly overpriced) but at least Buzz came in at 205 pieces (that’s almost ONE HUNDRED pieces more for the same price!!!).

I propose that Zurg could have at least come with an additional construction (maybe a doomsday device or android lackey) like the 8701 and 8702 Knight’s Kingdom models did. As it is the $25.00 for 118 pieces just feels like somebody is ripping me off.

Bottom line is I’m torn between giving this model a good rating for a decent replica of good design using minimal parts, and giving it a bad rating for ripping off the consumer with the parts-per-piece price (try saying that with a mouth full of crackers).

!!! 4x2ReVu Stats !!!
Rating: 2 out of 8 studs
Pros: Great rendition of a really cool bad guy.
Cons: Atrocious price that brings what should have been a six or seven stud review down to almost one. (Gee, can ya tell I’m kinda mad?)
Walletwise: $25.00 for 118 pieces. Level-headed shoppers oughta wait until it comes down to fifteen or sixteen bucks at the most.
Date: 5/17/10

Message has 1 Reply:
  Re: 4x2ReVu: 7591 Construct A Zurg

(...) Buzz was a general release. Zurg is a Walmart exclusive. TRU got the TS3 garbage truck (comes with exclusive Twitch minifig) and Target got the TS3 Pizza Planet Truck, but they're currently listing that set as an online exclusive. There are (...) (14 years ago, 18-May-10, to lugnet.reviews, FTX)