 General / 55333
55332  |  55334
Subject:
GBDX - Las Vegas 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:16:13 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Youtube

Flickr

This was built in summer 2007 by Dan Parker’s LEGO studio in Tacoma, WA. The model was created for a human resources convention in Las Vegas. The client had just acquired another company and wanted the merger to be the theme of their booth.

The client wanted something animated or moving. We decided on a Great Ball Contraption style model in the shape of a bridge, a theme in line with the company’s recent merger.

The smaller scale GBC style was not used because we wanted something bigger that could be viewed from across the convention floor and attract attendees to the client’s booth. We used the larger LEGO plastic balls that come with Mindstorms sets, etc.

I designed and built all of the ball contraption track and doodads. I built most of the company logo mosaics and the bridge towers.

Dan Parker designed and built the elevators that raise the balls up. He designed the bridge deck and catenary. Some volunteers came by the studio and helped build the catenary (all of the cables that support the suspension bridge).

Rick Clark stopped by and built the returns at the bottom, that feed the balls up into the elevator.

The model is entirely made of LEGO parts, except for some foam board behind the mosaics and the rope lights (which the client requested).

The model was broken down, crated and shipped to Vegas. Dan Parker and I flew in to set it up. Dan then left to work on another LEGO event. Gary McIntire flew in from California to help me maintain the model during the event.

It all went off with out any problems at all. Once it was up and running I don’t think more than 1 or 2 balls got stuck or fell off the track during several hours of use during the convention over the weekend. It was a big success! It seemed to draw in a lot of attendees and many of them said it was the coolest thing they saw at the convention.

It was a really fun project! I’d LOVE to make another ball contraption some day at this scale. I called it GBCDX or GBDX, for Great Ball Contraption Deluxe.

For inquiries about a model like this or another LEGO creation, Dan Parker’s LEGO studio can be reached at 253-632-9407. His email is dnvpark@juno.com