 General / 55215
Re: C&O H8 Allegheny #1602
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 2009 23:26:52 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Anthony Sava wrote:

Full Gallery (includes work in progress photos)

Chesapeake & Ohio H8 Allegheny class (2-6-6-6) articulated steam locomotive, the tallest, widest, heaviest steam engine ever created. By herself, the H8 weighed a staggering 724,500 lbs; with her fully loaded tender she topped out at earth shaking 1,066,100 lbs. She was capable of producing up to 8,000 horsepower, the highest ever calculated on an articulated steam locomotive, greater than even Challenger and Big Boy. In fact, her massive boiler, the largest ever installed on a locomotive, was large enough for the boiler of the Big Boy to fit inside.

She was named after the mountains where she worked, pulling mile long trains of 150+ coal cars up and down the Allegheny mountains, but was also capable of pulling long troop trains at speeds up to 60 mph.

She’s built in a massive 10-wide, and yet she’s more than likely still in scale with most 8-wide MOCs. She’s fully track compatible, capable of navigating turns and points using a floating design inspired by Benn Coifman. If you’re attending Brickworld, she’ll be in attendance, too.

--Tony

Very nicely executed, Tony! I wish I could see her in person at BrickWorld! I like how you did the front end, and the detail in the cab is a great touch.

I built an Allegheny several years ago, before even BBB wheels, so I’m familiar with the design and the troubles you no doubt went through to get it to navigate turns.

Did you remember to make the rear wheelset on the tender able to be raised, so that the Allegheny will fit on a turntable like the prototype?

Once again, you have built a masterpiece.

-Matt :)