 General / 54986
Re: Announcement About Historic LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:50:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   I always wondered why I had never seen a box for the #258, #259, #260 or #275 LEGO 1:87 VW vehicles. I know of a dozen collectors who collectively have hundreds of boxed rare 1:87 cars and trucks, but none have any of these 4 vehicle numbers BOXED. -snip-

They were only sold in VW 1:87 Retailer Boxes as individual parts that a LEGO buyer (usually a child) would pick out of the retailer box. Because the number of “2 color” color combinations on the VW van and pickup number about 18, TLG must have decided to let the customer pick and choose which color(s) they wanted to purchase.

These VW 1:87 retailer boxes were likely produced from 1957-64 (when the #600 series of vehicles replaced the #200 series).

Why has it taken this long to even find one of these very rare VW retailer boxes? Perhaps they were flimsy, and didn’t hold up well to wear. The Danish (1957-60) example shown below looks like it is falling apart.

Also, as part of retailer boxes, TLG had to provide for refills. The refill shown below (#259) is a 5 vehicle assortment that were removed from these plain cardboard boxes and inserted into the retailer box. This similar scenario happens with 1957-65 #214 1-10 windows/doors retailer boxes.

But unlike the rare windows/door retailer boxes, these 1:87 VW retailer boxes must be extremely rare (only ever seen this one.. and I don’t think they have one in the Billund LEGO Collections). The likely survival rate of these interesting VW retailer boxes (there’s a Masonite wooden partition between each row of vehicles) must have been extremely low, since this is the only known example I have ever seen.

These very rare VW retailer boxes were likely only sold in continental Europe (1957-64), and possibly from 1960-62 in Britain.

Another mystery solved! :-D

Gary Istok

A great piece of detective work, Gary!

Thanks for sharing.