 General / 54336
Re: Would it be a good idea if LEGO made metal axles?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:31:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Kolenovsky wrote:
If LEGO made metal axles, that limitation would be removed and it would be
possible to scale up to much larger sizes. On the other hand, I am not sure if
the existing plastic parts that are made to mate with the plastic axles would
still work with metal ones. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to whether
or not this might work? Has LEGO ever considered releasing metal axles?

I remember Travis Kunce tried it once with one of his amusement park rides, and
it seemed to work pretty well:

http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=10874

Of course, it's just a matter of time before the cogs on your gears or the
fittings for the axles become too stressed to handle the weight, but certainly
it seemed that the metal axle Travis used took things up a notch in terms of
weight.

DaveE