 General / 53728
Re: Different quality of pictures between different browsers in Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:23:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Gallagher wrote:

In Brickshelf and other websites that have a smaller previews for a picture I
have notice a low quality pictures in IE and Firefox. (Unless you click on
picture you will not see the correct resolution.)

I found a few articles on Lugnet that mention some IE changes and this did not
fix this problem.

Then I downloaded Apple’s new Safari browser. Much improvement on the previews.
They now have the same quality as the full size picture.

Another factor may be Safari's color management:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/06/safari_brings_c.html

http://news.com.com/Safari+ushers+in+better+browser+colors/2100-1012-6191815.html?part=dht&tag=nl.e703

Incidentally, I've always been curious about the way Brickshelf has the browser
scale the full sized image to fit the page. You don't see that too often these
days. I agree with Tim that unless the full size image is small enough to fit
the page anyway, it seems like a waste of bandwidth to send it every time. (On
the other hand, I suppose generating and storing all the intermediate thumbnails
could be costly as well.)

Jim