 General / 53190
53189  |  53191
Subject:
a christmas stalking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 00:06:37 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

gives the true meaning to the word stalking.

yes, i am a teacher. yes, i do get two weeks holiday. i’ll admit it, it’s a perk. but there is a downside to this profession.

yesterday, after the proverbial christmas sing-along/concert at school, one of my jk mother’s just happened to start the conversation with “so, i see you’re all over the internet”.

needless to say, my eyebrows rose a little.

then, “i see you frequent legnot (sic)”, eyebrows a little higher.

then, “i see you wanted to be an architect”. eyebrows at my hairline, i said, “oh, you found my moc pages.”

“well,” she admitted, “i was doing a little sleuthing.”

“and you googled me and found my little hobby?”

so, fully caught in her web, i admitted, sheepishly but not too, that i did play with lego and yes, i did build with lego, and yes, i did belong to a group of adult lego fans. i didn’t admit that i found this a little too creepy, being googled and all. last time i checked, teachers were allowed a life, albeit, not a very private one.

then she revealed that she had studied architecture for 6 years, following in the footsteps of her dad and uncle. and she hated it, never even practiced! now she’s a stay at home mom with 3 very young kids. that made me feel a little better. it put a new spin on the idea of checking out the teacher, but it made a bit more sense to me than before. eyebrows came down a little.

until today, when i opened little fiona’s present, and found a 48x48 baseplate, a snowman ornament in a bag and what looks like an assortment of pab (white fences, red slopes, green plants, blue car seats and green plates) in a soccer goal box. attached was a “bricks and blocks” business card. obviously, this parent took her teacher gifts seriously, did some detective work to find out her daughter’s teacher’s hobby and shopped online accordingly! quite the “stalking” indeed. the saddest thing was that fiona wasn’t even there today to see me open one of the greatest gifts i’ve ever received in 20 years of teaching. the eyebrows were way past the hairline by now.

the moral of this story is don’t google your kids’ teachers and if you do, don’t tell them. just buy them lego.

merry christmas to all.

-§ deborah higdon-leblond §-