 General / 52581
Re: LEGO Factory Updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 05:11:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   http://www.legofactory.com It includes an LDraw Exporter.

Where? The completely icon based GUI and non-intuitive keyboard/mouse combination is driving me nuts. Maybe it’s cause I do real CAD. BUT...it does look like a great improvement over the last iteration.
--Bram

I wondered that too, and looked for it... the closest I came was an “ldraw.xml” file in the database directory that looks like a mapping between LDD and LDraw parts. It’ll take more of an LDraw geek than I to figure out how to use it. But there does look to be some support for it.

On another note, I played around tonight building a house, and got to the roof and discovered that while there are many different red slope shapes - enough to create quite complex roofs - there are no red outside corner 45 degree slopes. That has to be an oversight. White, earth blue, and black outside corners exist, but not red.

Other than that little bugaboo, I am liking this version. It’s much more accurate when snapping pieces together (unlike 1.3, which took a lot of finagling and shifting of perspective). It’s pretty slow on my computer at home, but it does actually launch and operate, so I’m not complaining, given the previous version didn’t work on this comp at all. So it looks like they did do some optimizing of the code for older platforms (900MHz from the year 2000).

Oh, and I priced out the “starter train” they had... the 16 curves, 8 straights, motor, minifig, and small train (but no regulator) was in the mid-$50s, which compares very favorably with those parts a la carte.

Kelly