 General / 52028
Re: Advice needed on antique LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:37:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
I recently procured a large box of VERY old LEGO. Pre tube and old logo on the
studs OLD. Most of it is in pretty good condition.

Now here's my question-
What do I do with it all?

Clearly, I'll keep all the specialty parts (20 some macaroni, old Samsonite
gears, 4x4 round turntables, etc.)
But what about the basic bricks and plates? It seems a disservice to the age of
the bricks to mix them in and just build with them, but I'm no collector.

Ideas? Other forums I should query?

Hi Aaron,

I have a few questions for you....  First off, I assume that you're from the
USA.  And when you say "pre-tube", you mean no tubes on the bottom of the
bricks, correct?  The only place that the tubeless bricks were sold was Denmark,
Norway, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium and
Portugal.  So I assume that you are talking about bricks that you got from one
of those countries?  Or do you mean pre-tube for the plates (waffle bottom),
which were a USA item until 1972?  Because pre-tube (1949-58) bricks were never
sold outside of continental Europe.

1949-58 pre-tube bricks are relatively scarce.  Unfortunately there is no "slot"
for them (yet) in Bricklink for sellers to sell the old style bricks.  These
would fall into 2 categories.  1) 1949-56 pre-tube slotted bricks, available in
about 10 colors, and 2) 1956-58 pre-tube (non-slotted) bricks, available in
about 5 colors.

Pre-tube bricks are still sort of a novelty more than a collectible.  Perhaps
when my Lego History CD comes out more will be known about these oddities, and
with dates, colors, sizes and regions known.... just maybe a new genre of Lego
collecting/collectors could be expanded upon.  Who knows?

Gary