 General / 51557
Re: LF Yard Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:15:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Findley wrote:

   This brings up a good point. I’ve not tried the software yet, but it seems like it ought to work like this...

Selecting a piece for a model not only results in the piece being shown in the model, but results in all of the “extra” pieces from the parts pack being placed in a list (stick it in a tabbed window, off to the side, or something). That way, it would be possible for people to at least attempt to use most of the pieces in the parts packs.

This could result in a better ratio of parts used versus parts purchased.

Yes, something like that is needed, though I think there are other possible ways to handle the UI. For example, it’s already showing us an “available” count below each piece — the problem is that this count does not correspond to the actual units of sale! If they would simply switch from sets to bags in the palette selection, that would help a lot.

Of course, the problem then is that the bags are hard to identify, and there are a lot of them; you’d end up poking around a lot looking for bags that contain the part you need.

The problem is further complicated by the fact that, I’m sure, some parts appear in more than one bag. So (if this is true), they can’t just let you pick the part from a “full parts” list and then add the rest of the bag, since they don’t know which bag might best suit your needs. I suppose they could show you all possible bags at that point, and let you pick which you want, but this is getting a bit complicated.

It would vastly simplify life, the universe, and everything if they would simply drop the idea of selling their existing parts bags, and make up new bags of some sensible composition, with no part appearing in more than one bag. Then the UI could either show you these well-defined bags, or better yet, just add them automatically as you select parts. The parts palette could be the full parts list, but underneath each part, there would be two numbers: the number used and the number available with the bags you’ve already opened. So, for example, when I add a 2x2 green plate I might see “1/10” appear under it, and “0/5” under 2x4 green plate, so I know that I can continue to add 9 more 2x2 plates and up to 5 2x4s without increasing the cost.

Best,
– Joe