 General / 51279
Re: How should Lego items be dated?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:27:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Eric Strand and I had this discussion a few weeks ago, and today Allan Bedford
reminded me of this discussion.  How should Lego items be dated?

As we all know the Lego year goes from autumn to the next autumn, based on the
Lego catalog of the particular year.  Meaning 2005 items generally are sold from
autumn 2004 thru autumn 2005.  So even though lets say minifigs came out in the
autumn of 1977, do we consider them 1978 items?  I have this same problem
dealing with all the old Lego items from the 50's thru 70's.

What say you?

Gary Istok

On a followup note, I do use the catalog year for new items in my Lego CD, but
for when Lego came to a certain country, I use the actual year.  For example,
Lego may have come to the USA in the autumn of 1961 (1962 catalog) but I still
would use a 1961 date for when Lego sales first started in the USA. To me that
is a slightly different way of looking at specific dates.

Gary Istok

Gary,
My 0.02 cents
Like cars in the US the model year starts in Sept. Oct. of the previous year
So I think that is appropriate for Lego sets.

Base the year on the catalog year.
Of course the history of when Lego pieces/parts/sets
were first available should be noted with an actual date.

That said, it leads to some confusion.
For example:
Lego first came to Germany in Oct. 1956 (date not correct, just an example)
but the first German sets you will list
will be in 1957, none in 1956.

I can live with this,
and its your CD so you get to decide the presentation.

Looking forward to the CD,
dave