 General / 51193
Re: Customized Minifig parts question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:27:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bill Vollbrecht wrote:
Hey all,

Does anybody here know if anyone has ever customized a white sailors hat for
minifigs before? You know, like Gilligan on Gilligans Island wears? I have a
project I am working on and need 10 white sailors hats and not sure where to
start with it.....

I did a version of the (rough) Royal Navy equivalent, the Sennet Hat (made of
straw, but more or less the same shape).  You can see it worn by the young lady
here:

Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated!

If memory serves, I started with the relatively recent "knit cap" piece, filed
down the ribbed texture around the band, beveled the bottom edge a bit and then
built up a truncated cone for the brim using my usual method of epoxy putty over
a paper core.  More detail on the generic techniques involved can be found in
this posting of mine:

http://news.lugnet.com/build/minifigs/?n=1501

Once you've finished building, of course, you'll need to paint the resulting
custom pieces white.

I hope this helps.  There's a fair amount of work involved, but it's definitely
a feasible project.  Let us know how you make out with it, OK?

Regards,

Norbert Black

Thanks,

Bill