 General / 5068
Text::Query
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:42:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.build, Todd Lehman writes:
Try this search:
   http://www.lugnet.com/?q=%2Btan+ledit+ldraw+faq

Whoa!  Todd dude!  You're using Text::Query, aren't you?  Come on, fess up.

No, it's using a homebrew.  I probably should look into Text::Query though,
if it's loaded with callbacks and/or easy member-function overloading.
What I threw together isn't very smart about word roots, and it isn't very
fast either.  But it was easy to write and it'll get the job done for a
while.  Text::Query is probably a far superior solution.

Well, whatever the case, I just used that module for a CGI script at work.
I *really* like it.  Espcially, in that you can construct query strings
approaching the usefulness of boolean algebra, but with a less wordy
syntax.

Hmm, sounds interesting!

I noticed (1) that it only searches from the current virtual directory
down.

Yup, this is a feature, so that there doesn't have to be a separate field
for that (that's saved for the advanced search someday).  It says beneath
every search box what area you're searching.  It's a compromise between a
complex UI visually and a complex UI operatively.

It's the video game theory -- because there are only so many buttons on
the controller, you change your physical position to change the behavior
of the controls.  In some advanced cases, I suppose I can imagine it becoming
a click-a-billy rodeo, but I'd just keep a special window open in that case.

There's currently one downside to searching in sub-hierarchy, BTW...but it's
only temporary in that it's a low-level issue and not inherent in the design.
Crossposted articles are currently only indexed on their first newsgroup.
It's just a half-line source-code change to make it index on each of the
newsgroups rather than just one of them, but it means wiping out the current
search index and rebuilding it from scratch (which isn't anything
particularly brain-wrenching, but needs a couple tweaks so that it'll be
happy having a new one built while the old one is still running).

Is there a way to change this within the query string, or should I
navigate to the directory I really want to search from?

If you mean that you're constructing the query string by hand, then yes,
there is a way, sort of, if you just modify the URL left of the ?q= part.

1.  Jeez, I come across a really, really cool feature which I've been
*begging* for, and I have another request.  End-users, I swear they're
nothing but trouble...  :-P

You want to be able make the date be factor in the ordering, right?  This
would have been easy except that the indexing mechanism doesn't record the
date in the article index.  It would have to go do a stat() on all of the
article files first before ranking the results, and that could take quite
a long time.  Next time I rebuild the search index from scratch, I'll add
logging of the time/date stamp.

--Todd

[followups set to lugnet.off-topic.geek]