 General / 50182
Re: Lego Electronic Lab Kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:25:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Claude Rieth wrote:
Hi all,

just wanted to tell you that I used modified bricks (dont kill me please) to
create an extensible Lego Electronic Lab Kit, with amazingly solid contacts.

Link to photos is here:

http://team.lu/legoelectronic/index.html

That is seriously cool.

After thinking about it a bit more, I'm not sure exactly *why* it is so cool...
it seems like you could make the same circuits, with a lot less work, just using
a prototyping breadboard.  But nonetheless, somehow the fact that it's made out
of LEGO just makes it cooler.

Maybe it's the fact that you can arrange your components any way you like,
instead of having their arrangement constrained by the breadboard.  It's got
that same advantage (much more so) over those electronic kits you can buy for
kids, that have all the components soldered to little springs you stick the
wires in.  With this kit, which is almost as easy to use, you put just the
components you want on the board, and you can arrange them however you want to
make the circuit clear.

Hmm... I also like your use of soldering nails and shoes.  I've never tried that
sort of connection before, but it goes perfectly well with LEGO: a simple
push-on, pull-off friction grip.  And you say it makes a nice strong connection?
Strong enough to hold up on a moving, vibrating LEGO model, would you say?

Perhaps that should be the new stardard for connecting and powering custom LEGO
electronic parts.  Suggestion: make an adapter that converts a standard LEGO 9V
connector wire into a pair of shoes for use with these gizmos.  Also, make a
voltage regulator brick that, given a 9V input, spits out a steady 5V for use
with other parts that require that.

The more I think about this, the cooler it becomes...  thanks very much for
doing this, documenting it so nicely with pictures, and sharing it with us!

Best,
- Joe