 General / 49835
49834  |  49836
Subject:
I'll deserve coal next year!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.fun
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:46:15 GMT

My wife Laurette is the one who helped end my dark ages 14 years ago by placing
a 25 piece 6811 Pulsar Charger http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6811 in my Christmas
stocking as a gag gift.  That gag gift's piece count has since been squared and
squared again (25 X 25 X 25 X 25).  I now have to be one of the easiest to buy
for at Christmas and birthday.  I'm sure other AFOLs may be the same - right?

I try and make Christmas morning a bit more interesting.  I'm known for using a
lot of tape - to the point where it was nearly impossible for Laurette to get a
starting point on unwrapping her gifts one year.  The next year I rubber
cemented the wrapping paper tight on all of her gifts.  I'll never do that again
- the buzz from the fumes!  That and she was really torqued opening them.  I
once placed a gift certificate for her centered within a 32 stud cubed block of
basic bricks.  Not such a good idea either – broken nails, frustration, and she
kept the “wrapping”.  I didn’t think of providing a brick separator until she
was at the gift certificate.

This year I decided not to mess around with something I got her.  Actually I'll
be making up for the grief I've created in the past with something that any
person should have little effort opening.

She's not getting off easy though, as I've messed around with a gift she’s getting me!  I found where Laurette hid the new BNSF Loco that I'll be getting for Christmas.  She got it from Shop at Home.  Here's what I did.  Prior to her wrapping it, I opened it and replaced its contents with all basic black and white 2X4 bricks and successfully resealed the box as she has since wrapped it and placed it under the tree.   I'd have the loco built before Christmas morning just to make things interesting.  I thought it would be good enough alone to open the box and exclaim - "what's going on here" pulling out all the bricks - obviously not in the BNSF color scheme.

I've taken it a step further when I realized that the BNSF Locos were available for purchase from any of the LEGO stores.  I drove down to the Potomac Mills Mall and obtained one there and assembled it at the monthly meeting of WAMALUG near Arlington.  (I couldn't discreetly obtain one from SAH without her knowing)  I've placed the completed loco back in the box (it just fits) and once home I found the same wrapping paper she used on hers and wrapped this containing the completed loco inside.  I even lifted the to/from sicker from hers and applied it to mine.  Back under the tree it went.  Now on Christmas morning when I open it I'll be pulling out a completed BNSF Loco and I'll say "Hmmmm, looks like Lego is trying something new and having their sets already complete". :)   Then I'll tell her I did the switch-a-roo after she wrapped the original and that hers is still wrapped - of course still containing the black and white bricks, further proving I successfully altered the gift before and after her wrapping.

Laurette may be more upset that I now have two BNSF Locos more than anything
else.  Oh well, I'll then just have to pull from under the tree the little box
containing the pair of diamond stud earrings and upon her opening it point out
that just one wouldn't be appropriate now would it?

-Patrick

PS I could place the earrings within the 3100+ piece Imperial Star Destoyer box
that I haven't yet put together and have Laurette search through that - perhaps
sorting the pieces as she goes.  Naaa, wouldn't want those elements getting all
scratched up - she might even keep that "wrapping" - ouch!