 General / 49811
Re: Whats wrong with my MOCpage?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:29:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim McSweeney wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Samarth Moray wrote:

   1) Ratings too high or too low: Has anyone else noticed their ratings become impossibly low? (like below zero) or impossibly high (above 5) looky here: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/3296 I just think this can’t happen if the *average* rating is taken, right? If this is normal/correct, I’m cool with it.

I can’t help with the other issues, but this one could be caused by unscrupulous people exploiting the fact that MOCPages doesn’t seem to range check the input for voting.

I just conducted a quick experiment, by copying the URL the page provides to vote for 5 smilies:

http://www.mocpages.com/vote_ACTION.php?id=6112&vote=5

and editing the value at the end:

http://www.mocpages.com/vote_ACTION.php?id=6112&vote=500000

I managed to give your train a vote of 500,000 smilies, which pushed the average up to over 30,000. Panic not, I’ve changed my vote back down to a reasonable value, but less scrupulous people could use this in more subtle ways to effectively control the vote.

Cheers Tim

Hello Samarth,

(And, Tim, thanks for the explanation.) I’ve noticed the same thing with the voting on MOCpages. I have three out of range results.

-3 out of 5

5.5 out of 5

0.5 out of 5

So far I’ve only found them amusing and I assumed they were part of the reason that the voting was unavailable a while back and that they would be fixed eventually. There may well be more out of range votes but if the results are within range only the MOCpage admin would be able to tell. The votes are stored by MOCpages so it should be easy for them to find who is doing it or at least block those addresses.

This would be worth taking up with MOCpages; just click the contact link at the bottom of any MOCpage.

Peace and votes,

Professor Whateverly

P.S. I see the black thumbnails too. but I don’t know what’s causing that.