 General / 49731
Re: Color change: **CEO Draft Letter**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:18:32 GMT

In lugnet.color, Kyle D. Jackson wrote:
In lugnet.color, David Eaton wrote:
First set to use dark grey (according to Peeron) is 590 Engine Co. #9
(1977):
http://www.peeron.com/inv/colortable/3024?ip=0

Is that Peeron chart just for a specific part?  It's showing DkGrey and Brown
as making very late appearances...

Oops, wrong link...
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/590-1

Yeah, grey *brick* was really uncommon until around 1984 when the castle
theme started using it. Beforehand, it was around in plates mostly, but grey
bricks were only speckled in here and there in various sets.

Yeah, the earliest grey bricks I got were in classic space set 894 Tracking
Station in 1979 (a 2x4 and a bunch of 1x1,2,3).

Heh, hopefully the above works well enough :)

Yup!  Must've been bored!  ;]

Cross between bored and curious I guess :) Once I realized how to do it rather
quickly, it was pretty easy... Though admittedly writing a script would be
easier if I wanted to get those numbers again (for different parts or
something). But I better not mention that or else Dan will try and get me to
write something similar for Peeron.

Actually, it would be cool to see the color popularity between years as it
pertains to the most common part for that year. Things like dark grey, brown,
clear, trans-red, trans-blue, trans-yellow, trans-green, and to a lesser extent
even black were present for a long time, but not largely used in bricks; just
accessories. Plus things like that translucent white for the old axles and
antennas which were even LESS common (and probably completely dormant colors for
many years).

DaveE