 General / 48739
48738  |  48740
Subject:
Very pleased with Lego parts availability....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 04:40:56 GMT

I have to say that I am very happy with the direction TLG has been taking in
regards to spare parts lately!  I know that some folks have some issues with
quality and with color (I won't go there!).  But remembering back to 2000 when
we nearly had a mutiny (group letter to KKK) because of a general lack of spare
parts.  Since then I have to say that TLG has come a long way.  They aren't
exactly where they I would like them to be as far as parts availability (New
Town Windows! New Town Windows!), but they are pretty close.  And promoting the
entrepreneur spirit by supporting the over 1300 stores on Bricklink is great!

There are a few things that I have noticed lately.  It appears that in some
instances some of the old replacements parts inventory, and spare parts
inventory (if they are mutually exclusive)  has been getting out into
circulation via Bricklink.  I won't go into specific parts, because I don't want
to bring unwanted attention to anyone on Bricklink (even though they would
probably love it).

But I've found such items as Maersk blue parts in mass quantities.  I've
purchased rare old slopes in decent quantities in MINT that haven't been in
circulation in over 20 years, not even in new sets.  I recently purchased a
large assortment of very rare old classic windows not seen since 1980 (not red
or white) that were all in mint condition.  I'm talking over 150 windows!  There
is little chance that someone could have amassed such a quantity by breaking up
a large quantity old mint train sets (oops, that was a hint).

So I think that perhaps TLG may be doing some housecleaning in their spare parts
area.  If so, God bless them.  (It's better than what they did in Australia a
few years back when they threw out several dumpsters full of old spare parts
because it was a bother to try to distribute!)

On the otherhand, if TLG reads this and they are not doing any
housecleaning...... then NEVERMIND!

Gary Istok
A Lego fan since 1960