 General / 48696
Re: 1 by bricks without center studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 04:50:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Shifflett wrote:
Hi all,
I just finished going through a 310 Motorized Truck Set
I won on ebay.
I noticed it had a lot of 1x6 bricks without center studs,
and some with center studs.

What timeframe did they switch from no center studs, to studs underneath?

Were 1x4's ever made without center studs?
I have lots of sets with 1x2, 1x6, and 1x8, without center studs,
but no 1x4 without center studs.

keep on bricking
dave

As Tom Garrison mentioned in the other post, they were produced in all the
Trans+ colors.

However, the 1x4 without posts underneath were not produced in any solid colors.
The 1x2, 1x6 and 1x8 bricks were made as far back as the mid 50's (but without
"LEGO" on the studs).  In my upcoming Lego History CD I go into exhausting
detail about the various types of these bricks.  Around 1965 TLG switched to
putting posts underneath the 1x2, 1x6 and 1x8 bricks.  This was the same year
the 1x4 first came into production.

However, USA Samsonite Lego produced a lot of strange variations of these
bricks.  In some mid 60's Samsonite Lego sets one can find 1x6 blue bricks
without posts in ABS plastic, 1x6 yellow bricks without posts in Cellulose
Acetate, 1x4 yellow bricks with posts in Cellulose Acetate, and 1x2 yellow
bricks with posts in Cellulose Acetate.  I believe that the only Cellulose
Acetate bricks with posts in 1x2 and 1x4 sizes were the USA Samsonite Lego
bricks in yellow.  And Cellulose Acetate was being discontinued in Europe in
1963.

So lets, see......

Europe switched to posts underneath all 1x2, 1x6 and 1x8 bricks in 1965, the
same year the 1x4 bricks with posts came into production, and 2 years after
(1963) they switched from Cellulose Acetate to ABS plastic.

USA switched to posts underneath all 1x2 brick around 1965, the same year the
1x4 bricks came out with posts.  But 1x6 and 1x8 bricks can be found in sets as
late as 1970 with posts, some made of ABS, others of Cellulose Acetate.  The
last of the Cellulose Acetate showed up in USA sets (in yellow) in 1970.

And to make things even more confusing, when the switch to studs underneath the
bricks first came out, the 1x2, 1x4, 1x6 and 1x8 clear bricks all had studs.
The switch to studless clear bricks happened later.

Again, my upcoming CD on Lego explains this brick mayhem.

Gary Istok