 General / 47822
Re: Advice needed, Lego Imagination Center, Minneapolis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 14:23:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ted Michon wrote:

   My nonlego wife is going to stop by the Minneapolis Lego Imagination Center on Monday. She wants to grab a couple of goodies for me but I have no idea what she should look for. Of course I want something that is hard to find outside of a Lego store. Any advice for me??? Is there Pick-a-brick in this store? I don’t even know how Pick-a-brick works. HELP!!!

Daniel

Daniel-

Two things:
  • Larry’s advice to call to check stock is a good one, but you can also just give your wife a priority list and hope they have what you want. Typically there are mostly basic bricks and larger (i.e., hard to swallow) plates but also some nice specialty parts (PAB at Downtown Disney in Anaheim has a lot of Technic bricks right now, for example) and some worthless things (Duplo size flowers, for example).

  • Print out the directions on LUGNET for close packing bricks. You can fit 168 2x4 bricks in a large cup following the directions, plus upwards of 100 small fillers. That gets the price down to about $14 per pound versus $28 at PAB by weight at LLCA. You need to be patient to do this, however. For our last SCLTC show, we needed some bricks at the last minute and bought 16 large cups, but it took 4 of us almost 3 hours to pack them.
Good luck.

-Ted

My Nonlego Wife take the time to pack cups??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!! Your a funny guy Ted!

Actually she did ok. She fit 104 1x8 old dark grey bricks and 20 1x2 sand green bricks in one large cup. When she got home I repacked it and found room for maybe 10 to 20 more 1x2’s.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Daniel