 General / 47567
Re: The Solarian Imperial Archive is back!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 09:19:47 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Jordan D. Greer wrote:

I decided to give my MOCs a backstory, pointless perhaps, but I don’t really care. Politely, just because you don’t personally like to give your MOCs a backstory, it doesn’t mean that others share your same inclination, witness the dozens of similar story-MOC sites. Are they likewise pointless to people other than their authors? Of course, but that’s not the purpose of them. When I post my MOCs I do indeed provide direct links to brickshelf, not just the site. So, politely once again, what exactly is wrong with making a website?

I never said backstory was pointless or even brought that up. I’m not sure where you’re going exactly but I’ll go with it.

Here’s how it is: If you don’t have some great MOCs to begin with no one reads your stories. Even then most people skip the story if it’s longer than a paragraph. I’d like to see a show of hands for those who disagree with this. Ok that one guy over there sorta raised his hand.
Hah, okay. I guess I was kinda overreacting.

But we’re getting sidetracked. I never made a comment on stories to begin with. This is about web design. Your website is for your lego creations. Don’t bury them. They should be accessible with just a few clicks from the splash. Your site (and others like them) is so confusing that I normally hit “back” when the splash loads.
Hrmm, okay. I’ve never found my organization particularly confusing, but that’s probably because I wrote the site. :) I didn’t know anyone felt that it was confusing, thank you VERY much for pointing it out. I’ll change it in the next design. How about this? “Lego models” link in left navigation frame >> List of models with adjacent preview pic for each one >> Description and previews of each picture on the same page >> New window for each picture clicked.

And after all this don’t just link to brickshelf or even BSV for the gallery. That’s just bad and confusing.
Do you host your pictures on your own site? I suppose I could use the images of deep links to BSV or Brickshelf (which, I’ll admit, is superior to Brickshelf’s, but that’s kind of moot when linking).

   You should at the very least link to BSV. Brickshelf is horrid enough on it’s own, much less jumping out at you on a website.
This seems slightly faster than brickshelf, and the interface is somewhat superior, but other than that, if I’m simply linking to a folder, what’s the point? The only true advantages that I see to BSV are the slideshow and resize features. What exactly do you mean by “jumping out”? The new window that appears when you click a link to pictures?

“Somewhat superior”

Bram created a better interface with BSV in a weekend than Kevin did with Brickshelf in like 5 years. Kevin is clearly a good guy and brickshelf is cool because it’s free but that’s where it stops.
Well, I’ve never seen BSV before (or if I have, I forgot about it), so I haven’t had time to play around with the features. It definitely is a better interface than Brickshelf’s, but I wouldn’t say to an extremely high degree.

   Anyway. You’ve been around a long time and I hope you stick around for longer. I’m replying to your post cuz I really feel that way.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. Anyhow, this reminds me, when are you gonna resurrect the Shipyard? :) I loved that site.

   [ j o n ]
zemi.net
moonbase
myspace