 General / 47106
Re: [Update!] Re: A GeeBee for the Zoo...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.loc.us.mi
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 03:57:38 GMT

Another update -

To anyone who might be planning on going to the opening on Thursday (not sure anyone was), I was wrong about it being open to the public. Sorry, there was a miscommunication somewhere.

As for the GeeBee (I always want to type that as BeeGee... eew), she’s almost complete. I’ve got pretty much everything built, so it’s just a matter of putting it all together tomorrow; I’ll be sure to post the pictures ASAP. A few details:
  • Length - 89 studs
  • Wingspan - 122 studs
  • Weight - so far, I’d say 20 lbs
So, yeah, she’s big.

Update w/ photos tomorrow, hopefully.

-jeremiah-

In lugnet.general, Jeremiah VanderMark wrote:
   So I stopped by the Zoo today to iron out the details.

This place is amazing. They’ve got tons of planes in beautiful condition, what is soon to be the largest hand-painted mural on the planet (no, really. Guiness is supposed to stop in in a week or so to make it official.), and did I mention the Blackbird?! That thing is huge. Very cool.

But I digress.

Finalized details:
  • The opening ceremony is on the 29th, starting at 10 am, and open to the public. Get there early, as parking is limited for now.

  • The GeeBee will be built throughout the day on the balcony over the lobby, and will be on display there for two weeks (unfortunately; the space is needed for evening events after that).
If you can swing a morning off or have some time to spare that day, I highly reccommend it. Not just because I’d like to have some brick-savvy people to talk to (though that’d be cool), but beacuse this is gonna be a blast.

Stephan - Yeah, they haven’t said much about it, probably because they weren’t sure about it. We’ve been talking back and forth about it since the Master Builder thing, but only really decided on anything in March. And I’m from Greenville, which is about 45 minutes NE of Grand Rapids.

Thanks guys, and I’ll be sure to post some progress pics later.

-jeremiah-

In lugnet.announce, Jeremiah VanderMark wrote:
   Oh, forget the delay, I can’t hold out on this!

I’ve been commissioned by the Kalamazoo Air Zoo, a new air & space museum in Kalamazoo, MI, to build a sculpture for their grand opening. I got to choose the subject, so what better than a GeeBee:

I’ll be building it all day on April 29th, which I guess is a press day; I’m heading down there tomorrow for final details, so I’ll be able to find out if it’s open to the public that day or not. Some of the details are still sketchy, but I’ve been told it’ll be on display for a month or two - If you’re in the area, come on down and see it (and the gorgeous SR-71 on display there)!

As I said here I’m looking for advice on pricing, so if you’ve got some sugestions, post ‘em.

I’ll be updating with pics as the GeeBee comes together, and hopefully I’ll remember my camera on the 29th :)

-jeremiah-