 General / 45897
Re: AFOLs - The comic!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:42:37 GMT

Hey Jake,

The comic is awesome.  I sense that Greg Hyland (who's work is superb!)
was/is inspired by Scott McClouds' "Understanding Comics" in the general
composition of the pages.  Do I get a virtual chrome brick no-prize?

Very cool, can't wait for more!

Dave

"Jake McKee" <jacob.mckee@america.lego.com> wrote in message
Wow. It's been a week and a half since BrickFest PDX, and I'm [just] now
starting to get caught up. I went straight from PDX to Enfield and had • some
terrific Community Development meetings with the team. Lots of good things
happening!

As mentioned in my <http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=2242 • keynote> at
BF PDX, <http://www.lethargiclad.com/ Greg Hyland> and I have been working • for
some time on a really cool comic book about you, the AFOL. This was • originally
meant to be only for internal usage - I've been doing a lot of traveling • and
talking within the LEGO Company lately getting colleagues informed and • pumped up
about the AFOLs. Some good stuff happening, and you'll be hearing more • soon.

But the comic was such a huge success that I was able to secure a small • amount
of funding to put it into print!

As I mentioned in my keynote, I'm very interested in "Activating the • Sleepers" -
those folks who just haven't realized yet that they are AFOLs and there is • an
entire community out there waiting for them. From the keynote:

{For 2004, I've dubbed it the year of activating the sleepers. We all hear
stories all the time about LEGO builders who are fans but don't realize • it.
People who buy sets, build creations, and even have national cable • networks
rebuild their LEGO themed rooms. But these folks often haven't even had • the
synapses fire that make them wonder if there are others out there like • them. I
call them the sleepers.}

{So how do we draw them into the community? How do we pull over these • energetic
new faces?}

One idea is to use this comic as a "recruiting" tool. Imagine you're out a • train
show and people are asking about your hobby. Or you may have friends or
co-workers that are AFOLs who haven't realized it yet. Or a local hobby • shop has
regular customers who you are pretty certain are AFOLs at heart. Perhaps • you can
get this comic in front of them to show them how much fun the community • is.

I've posted the draft comic on my personal site (easier that way) for you • to
review.

<http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/comic/AFOLcomic-small.pdf
http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/comic/AFOLcomic-small.pdf>

[Disclaimer]: This is a first draft of an in-progress work. It will be • fully
colored, and cleaned up before going to print.

Many many thanks to Greg. He's an incredible artist and a hilarious • writer. Take
a minute to tell him how cool he is!

I've posted this draft to get your feedback. We'd love to hear your • thoughts on
the comics, or ideas for strips we may have missed. What other types of
information can we put in along with the comics to help pull in the • "Sleepers"?

And the idea - is it a good one? Do you see yourself using this?

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments!

Jake

---¬
Jake McKee¬
Community Liaison (and aspiring comic writer)¬
LEGO Community Development Team