 General / 45300
45299  |  45301
Subject:
A positive thing about the color change . . . no, really!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 02:28:56 GMT

Hey all,

Just the bought the MINI AT-TE and Star Destroyer.  Didn't notice the change
in light grey much but dark gray screamed at me right from the start.
Compared to Classic Dark Grey (that's what I call it) it does indeed appear
much more blue-gray than a brownish-gray.  So I can see the argument for a
"punchier" color, but I prefer the understated earth tone by a wide margin.
It's very earthy tone is more suggestive of real world tones (at least for
me) and is far more realistic.

However, seeing the two side by side the possiblities are obvious and huge.
Both these colors combined in an MOC give us all the ability to "weather"
the surfaces of our spaceships and structures because we now have two
different tones of each color.  I'm thinking Millenium Falcon, Gunstar,
Galaxy Class Starships, the list is literally endless.

Essentially, we can recreate the appearance of wear, dirt or UV type damage
without these enemies of abs being directly involved.

Yet, it does mean that eventually we will have more "new" plates than
"weathered" plates unless TLG decides to do something cool like keeping the
original colors alive in limited releases like UCS and Legend sets (I'm sure
someone's already mentioned that!).

I think I'm going to mix the old and new together and see how it goes.

Play well!

Dave