 General / 45107
Re: MMB competition questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:39:02 GMT

Ha, perfect timing. I get to check in and answer some questions.

In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Darrell Urbien wrote:
   I had a couple of questions that (maybe) only a finalist could answer..

-Did all the finalists have to interact with the media as one of the “tests”? I found it interesting that each of the winners was on TV in some way before the end of the competition. Did everyone do this? I know one of the aspects of the job was to be an “ambassador”, I’m just wondering if you got your 15 minutes as well. :)

Well, I’m assuming that not everyone was accost- I mean... interviewed by the media, unless I was the only one :)

Call me crazy, but it seems to me they already had the winners picked (to some extent) before the big build - they knew beforehand who to talk to (1).

   -I’m not familiar with the personnel in the Model shop. It was well known there were 6 Master Model Builders. There are pictures of the 6 on the Legoland website. But right after the competition I went to the shop, and there were several workers there who were not one of the 6. They were working on projects I would’ve thought were MMB material. Who were they? And were those the “positions other than being MMB” that the director was encouraging the non-winners to apply for? Perhaps Apprentice Model Builders?

Yeah, someone on the tour asked about that too. They’re in the middle of a big push to finish the upcoming art gallery, so they’ve got temporary copy builders/gluers to help out. Apparently most of them work at the park in some way already (retail, rides, etc.), and got the chance to apply for the temp gig. Mariann, one of the Builders, said she got her start that way, so I suppose that’s what the president was talking about.

Darrell

-jeremiah-

PS- Way to go, Aaron, Kristi, and Nathan!

(1) - That sounds a lot more conspiritorial than I’d like. I’m not saying they had already made the final decisions before the build; I just mean they had a group in mind based on the interviews and tests. Boy, this tinfoil hat sure is warm!