 General / 44663
44662  |  44664
Subject:
Homebrewed LEGO USB Dongle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 15:29:50 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The LEGO USB Dongle

The whole thing consists of 7 1x3 bricks of which one is used as a cap for the USB socket, there are also two 1x3 plates at the top and the bottom to ‘seal’ the (w)hole thing.

All glueing was made with Cyan Oacrylate Glue - (CA). It may need a bit more work on the finnsh, but I’m pleased with the result.

The USB-memory is a Cig@r-Pro 32Mb memory. (http://www.cigarusb.com)

If there’s someone thinking of doing the same thing I hope you can find a smaller USB-memory since this one fits only after extensive work up of the pices. Now it fits really snuggly though.. :)

Now to the real question, why destroy nice LEGO just to use it as shell around a piece of electronics?!

I’m not sure, but the main reason was that the orignal casing was really bad and it was broken, on top it all, when using the USB device there where no place to attach the cap. That problem is now solved! :)

Disclamer (Sort of)

I have had the USB memory for a while and the idea to use LEGO as a casing came to me for over six month ago, but since I like my LEGO and I was hesitant to sacrifice any precious LEGO pices for this project it was dormant for a while. It all changed recently when I went to a trip to US and got a chance to visit a LEGO shop with Pick-a-Brick, unfortunately they only had pink 1x3 bricks! Perhaps that was a good thing since it would have been harder to ‘destroy’, lets say, dark grey 1x3 bricks!

I’m sorry to announce that LEGO bricks was harmed during the work to make this USB casing.. However I sincerly think that LEGO pices is far better suited for this purpose than other cheap LEGO look-a-like pices.

PLMKWYT!

//Harri Manni