 General / 44096
Re: how to transport lego by air
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:05:39 GMT

"Jonathan Wilson" <jonwil@tpgi.com.au> wrote in message

Part of the travel will be by air.
There will also be travel in a hire-car and on a bus.
Its all domestic travel.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is/isnt a good thing to take
and more importantly how to take it?
Is it safe to trust it to airport baggage handlers or should I take it
in-cabin?

I always try to take the important models in the cabin as hand luggage. I've
found that putting them in a cardboard box marked "fragile" helps a lot. Pad
your model tightly inside the box with foam, bubblewrap etc. Pay attention to
the allowed dimensions of hand luggage and try to keep within at least the
allowed volume; the package being a bit overweight doesn't seem to matter so
much, at least as long as you don't visibly struggle with it. I've seen people
with hand luggage so heavy/bulky that they struggle to get it into the overhead
bins, in which case they steward will often offer to help; if they then perceive
it is as too heavy and/or bulky there is a risk it will be transferred to the
hold. If there are spare seats they sometimes put them there instead though.

If you have models in your checked luggage, put them in the centre of a hard
suitcase tightly surrounded by padding such as airbags, large bubblewrap, etc.
Clothes and bags of lego also work well instead of these if you run out of space
in your case.

Jennifer