 General / 44074
44073  |  44075
Subject:
New SW Minis, Peeron, Colors, Thanks and Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 04:58:46 GMT

Well, I'm sitting here in my hotel room in Bloomington after shopping for Legos.
I have a lot I want to say and I hope people don't mind the long post, but I
feel this is important. I have been an AFOL for 18 years now and loved Legos
long before that (when I was still a kid). Unlike most AFOLs, I never went
through the dark period. I've always built Legos. I discovered Lugnet a few
years back and immediately fell in love with it, the members and the entire
online community. It is because of this community that I am able to practice my
art at the level I do. I feel it is time for me to give back to the community
myself. This is my start.

Many thanks and kudos to James and his wonderful idea of LDRAW. He epitomized
what the AFOL community is all about. Many thanks to Tim Courtney, Steve Bliss
and all of the countless others that keep James' dream alive and well. I use
LDRAW, MLCAD, LPUB and others all the time to help visualize new creations and
to make instructions for my children's favorite models.

Then there's the poster man. Jeroen's posters are some of the most amazing works
of art I've ever seen. Of course, the models he is given by others are pretty
darn amazing themselves.

Thanks to 1000steine.de, FBTB.net, brickset.com, Ldraw.org, mocpages.com and the
dozens of other community sites that usually have more information about Legos
than TLC itself.

Many thanks and Kudos to Dan and Jennifer Boger for peeron.com. In my recent
jaunt into a large train station (this is a teaser for the pics to follow in a
few weeks), I ran into shortages of items I needed and I have worn out the site
locating what sets had the parts I needed. It has been a life saver.

Whoever came up with Bricklink (and I still think eBay should just get over
it!!!!) needs to be knighted. Cause once I found the sets/parts I needed on
peeron, I just went over to bricklink and ordered them.

Jake McKee - I cannot say enough that you have joined our "unofficial" site and
keep us up to date with the happenings. Even though we represent only a small
portion of TLCs revenue, we still are in the loop. Thank you!

Mr Harshbarger, Reverend Smith, Jennifer Clark, Bram Lambrecht, the city of
Bricktopia, Jon Palmer, Eric Sophie and all of the other incredible Lego
builders should get a standing ovation for more than exceeding my wildest
expectations and giving me inspiration to get better.

I'd like to recognize all of the LTCs around, and especially the SCLTC which
continues to blow my mind with their layouts. The setup they have in the museum
right now is stupendous.

Cary Clark deserves a pat on the back for the effort he is putting into Track
Draw. I've played with the pre-beta and it is going to rock. He is really
putting a lot of effort into this (as are many other people who are helping with
part design and testing).

I'm not sure who started Brickfest, but I do know that the words Brickfest and
Christina Hitchcock have become synonomous. Outstanding work on this (and I
apologize that I do not know more names of people involved in that, but to all
of you, thanks)

And finally....I'd like to thank TLC. I love Lego period end of statement. With
well over 1000 kits in my collection and growing, I can't seem to get enough. I
don't care if they change colors (uh oh, he went there), I don't care if they
juniorize some stuff, and I don't care if they released fewer kits this year
than last year. Legos are still Legos, and they still ROCK! And AFOLs will still
find cool things to do with them. And I will still be blown away by what my
fellow AFOLs do.

OK. Now that I've said that, let me add my first contribution. As I said at the
beginning, I was shopping today and I happened to come across the 4 new Star
Wars MINI sets (at TRU). So I sent the inventories to Peeron.com. Clark has
already added them to the site so feel free to go look at what comes in the
sets. and BTW, they are REALLY COOL kits.

Thanks for listening (or reading), and thanks for being one of the best online
commumities in the world. AFOLs Rule!!!

Geoff Gray
Lugnet member #1223