 General / 43886
Re: New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:15:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

First, I’d like to say a special thank you to Jake for clarifying this issue at hand.

My opinion on this?

‘Classic colors’ = Classic Coke

‘Replacement colors’ = New Coke

What’s going here Lego? Ritvik got you a little scared? Maybe you’re feeling gradual market share loss to the hated Megabloks. I do notice that those replacement colors (NOT NEW...merely replacement) do resemble the Megabloks.

Are you feeling that your classic color palette can’t compete with all those FAKE-LOOKING clone brands? Perhaps you decided to hype your formula a bit (shades of Coke vs. Pepsi - circa 1980’s)

Then perhaps you should take a lesson from Coca-Cola and switch back to the tried-and-true (anyone remember the public outcry over the ‘New Coke’?)

Perhaps all my words are in vain, I bet you’re hoping that the average kid ain’t gonna notice that his gray, brown, ad-nauseam, bricks aren’t matching in the color department.

Now why would I assume something as this?

Have you ever seen pigs when the slop bucket is thrown at them?

I hear all these people trying to sympathize with Lego over their fateful (and ultimately fatal, I hope) decision to ‘jazz-up’ the color palette.

All I can say is that when I start getting 9V train track with those funky-colored ties, I’ll be loud and vocal with Lego Shop-At-Home. (with refunds a-plenty)

Some of you may not like Richard Marchetti’s choice of language on this matter, but I stand with him on this one. Nice words and pleasant tones of voice don’t win wars after all. Why should we be nice when Lego has deceived us in this manner? For I too, have spent thousands of dollars on their beloved bricks, they got my absolute praise when they released the Classics line of train sets. Words alone cannot express my feeling for their release of the Super Chief...

So why now Lego? Why let your adult fan base down with this unfortunate change of product? You have shaken us to the core, transgressions such as the Galidor line were forgivable. But now you have attacked your basic elements with these ‘colors’.

It’s not too late for Lego to turn back now, I would like to see your ill-fated ‘replacement’ colors relegated to a museum (knowing that one day, a Lego museum will be built) along with the likes of New Coke, the Edsel, the Atari Lynx, and the Spruce Goose.

Return to your classic colors Lego, or lose me as a customer (I may only be a single customer, but a few can add up to many in no time)

-HRH