 General / 43772
Re: Petition against permanent color changes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:10:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Lovelace wrote:
   One more thing. It’s a well-known fact, given by Lego reps themselves at LUG meetings, etc. (or so I have read in the transcriptions), that we AFOLs make up something like 1% of their market. So let it be known that even if we all hated it and stopped buying new product, it’s my admittedly pessimistic opinion that our 1% would PALE compared to a probable INCREASE of sales that introducing “newer, brighter colors,” along with a big, shiny marketing campaign, would do.

A “big, shiny marketing campaign” isn’t going to happen here. LEGO will just start putting the new colors into sets, and hope people don’t notice that the parts don’t match their existing collection of pieces.

Here on LUGNET where some of the AFOLs hang out, it’s big news - we notice when LEGO changes something like this, because we’re passionate about our favorite toy. The average Mom or Dad buying a kit for the average kid probably never notices something like this.

And yea, we recognize that when LEGO brings out a new color we buy it. Heck, I bought 20 of the original “Trick or Treat” bucket the first few days they were on the shelf, just for the orange bricks. I bought several hundred dollars worth of Sand Red bulk bricks when they first showed up in the Shop @ Home catalog. When McDonalds had a ‘Happy Meal’ set with the dark pink pieces I got 40 of them. I just bought fifty copies of the #4400 tub, with all the different colors of bricks. We know that new colors are ‘a good thing’. We’re upset that LEGO is taking away a classic color that has been a staple of collections for many years!

“Bright & Sharp” Jake says. Maybe LEGO should just mold nothing but fluorescent colors, and forget anything that looks even remotely like the colors in the real world.

And yea, put me down as being against this change. I’ve got around 300,000 bricks at home, I’ve been playing with LEGO toys for over 35 years...

JohnG, GMLTC