 General / 43755
Re: New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:19:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

Color Modifications

As has been pointed out, there have been some modifications to the color palette. This was done with a great deal of consideration, and for a couple of very good reasons.

1. LEGO is known for having a bright, sharp color palette. As you can tell from the photo that Joe Meno posted (http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=43553) some of the old colors (like light and dark gray) are fairly “muddy” and dull. In addition to consumer feedback pointing this out – and not positively

Well, you’re getting a lot of ‘consumer feedback’ now about the change, and that ain’t positive either.

My questions are - Who are these people that were giving feedback? Do they have no history with building with Lego at all? Why are they being asked now, after all this time of producing the original colours? Surely if it was such a problem it would have been identified years ago. Why is some yokel off the street’s opinion of a colour so much more valuable than the denizens of Lugnet? If you want consumer feedback, putting a post on Lugnet has got to be about the cheapest, easiest way of getting it - why was this not taken advantage of?

   – we didn’t like the “muddiness” either, and looked for a solution to make all the LEGO colors “fit”. Check that picture from Joe again; you can clearly see how much nicer the new colors look. These new colors are brighter and sharper and more consistent with the primary palette for which the LEGO Brand is known.

Hogwash. The colours Lego has been producing for as much as 20 years are the colours for which the Lego brand is known.

2. The LEGO color palette has grown a bit organically (a nice way of saying haphazardly) over time. As needs for new colors came up, new colors were created somewhat independently of the rest of the colors. Since we have added many new colors in the last few years, it was clear that we needed a specific, focused, and defined color palette.

No, what you needed to do was consolidate new colours with a decent parts selection before adding new ones. Slow down. You don’t need new colours every year to keep the kids interested. There have been several sets that I have avoided buying even on considerable discount (Bounty Hunter Pursuit springs immediately to mind) simply because they were in colours I had in such limited supply that I couldn’t imagine getting enough of them to make anything that pleases me.

   In design terms, the colors needed to “fit together” better.

You know, in the year or so I’ve been on Lugnet I haven’t once seen anyone complain that their grey bricks didn’t go very well with any other colour. On the contrary, it is often praised for it’s virtue of going well as a base colour with any other colour. Dark grey perhaps less so, but that’s more a tonal issue than anything to do with it’s hue.

I don’t yet have the full details such as what colors have been modified – it appears to be a relatively small number – but will be posting that info as soon as I get it. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

From what I understand, all new products, starting with the 2004 sets will be coming off the line utilizing the new colors. It should be noted that we are looking into the feasibility of producing bulk packs of the “old” color elements to be made available through LEGO Shop At Home – no guarantees, mind you, but we’re looking into it.

Hope this helps!

Not really, but what choice do we have?

Don’t get me wrong here. I’m under no illusions that my opinions hold any weight over in Billund, nor do I particularly care what colours Lego produces. All it means is that I’ll have a smaller choice of sets to buy, which should make Her Indoors happy. I just find the way lego, a company claiming to want to develop a community with AFOLs to the point of hiring full time staff members to do it, has gone about this change to be a little odd.

At the very least it would have been nice if the Lugnet community had been part of the ‘consumer feedback’ process, instead of this c.m.a. announcement after the decision had been made and the sets were already on the shelves.

Finally, my hope is that the new grey isn’t so significantly different that it won’t clash to badly with the original. It’s a little hard to tell from the photos posted so far. The new dark grey looks like an entirely new colour to me, and I will treat it as such. I may or may not bother gathering an adequate quantity of it. I’d rather consolidate the colours I do have with basic and special pieces in that colour than try and collect large quantities of a new colour.

Cheers,

Allister