 General / 43682
43681  |  43683
Subject:
Lego, you fool!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:13:29 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

[Color Modifications]

As has been pointed out, there have been some modifications to the color
palette. This was done with a great deal of consideration, and for a couple
of very good reasons.

1. LEGO is known for having a bright, sharp color palette. As you can tell
from the photo that Joe Meno posted
(<http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=43553>) some of the old colors (like
light and dark gray) are fairly "muddy" and dull. In addition to consumer
feedback pointing this out – and not positively – we didn’t like the
"muddiness" either, and looked for a solution to make all the LEGO colors
"fit". Check that picture from Joe again; you can clearly see how much nicer
the new colors look. These new colors are brighter and sharper and more
consistent with the primary palette for which the LEGO Brand is known.

2. The LEGO color palette has grown a bit organically (a nice way of saying
haphazardly) over time. As needs for new colors came up, new colors were
created somewhat independently of the rest of the colors. Since we have added
many new colors in the last few years, it was clear that we needed a
specific, focused, and defined color palette. In design terms, the colors
needed to “fit together” better.

I don’t yet have the full details such as what colors have been modified – it
appears to be a relatively small number – but will be posting that info as
soon as I get it. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

From what I understand, all new products, starting with the 2004 sets will be
coming off the line utilizing the new colors. It should be noted that we are
looking into the feasibility of producing bulk packs of the "old" color
elements to be made available through LEGO Shop At Home – no guarantees, mind
you, but we’re looking into it.

Dear Lego,
I don't care why you changed the gray shades (color palette reasons, or because
they are more "beautiful" or because you save 1 cent for every billion parts
molded - I suspect this is the REAL reason -), but the result of it is that the
parts from new sets won't match with the gray ones from my 150,000 parts
collection.

And of course I'm not willing to buy 10,000 new gray parts to avoid the problem.

I simply want the usual gray/dark gray BACK.

A serious company doesn't treat (*) its consumers this way. Shame on you.

Cheers,
Gianluca (an angry, disappointed guy who gave Lego lots and lots of money)

(*) maybe "cheats" fits better...