 General / 43021
    Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Leonard Hoffman
   (...) What I find so interesting about this question is that all LEGO ultimately comes from the same source: TLG itself. Now, understanding that, there are certain Bricklink sellers who buy multiple sets for the sole purpose of parting them out and (...) (21 years ago, 10-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Benjamin Medinets
     (...) Its the "magic" of Clearance. A high volume purchaser like Troy is able to afford to eat up the inventory, plus he is able to buy at the wholesale level, making it even cheaper for the brick. Heck, if you could get a ton of sets at 75% off, (...) (21 years ago, 10-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Benjamin Ellermann
     (...) I have noticed this trend as well. Perhaps a bricklink seller will inform me of this question - Do sellers ever stockpile a part and just sit on it - knowing that it could be very valuable in the future? Case in point - the brown shovel in the (...) (21 years ago, 10-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Bruce Hietbrink
     (...) I'm not a seller, but I would guess no. It seems like an easy way to get shafted. For instance, the Stormtrooper minifig was only in one set, and ran for higher prices, then it came out in a storyteller for less, and a few months later you (...) (21 years ago, 11-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Bryan Kinkel
     Check completed eBay sales for 7130, the Snowspeeder. It goes from $30 to $50. One sold on 9/9 for $80. Wow. Who says only Empire vehicles are popular ? ! -- Bryan "Bruce Hietbrink" <bnh@chem.ucla.edu> wrote in message news:HL2Fq2.1D4G@lugnet.com... (...) (21 years ago, 11-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Kevin Johnston
     (...) There are two other explanations; one, the cost per brick when parting is lower regardless of any hidden costs, or two, which is what I believe, it's not really possible for a BL seller to charge more than Lego Bulk prices, regardless of their (...) (21 years ago, 10-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Leonard Hoffman
      (...) i dont understand what you mean here.. cost of brick, as i understand it is Cost to Manufacture, then part out into sets (which should be saved since its bulk), then cost of shipping. "Hidden" means there something else in this mix im not (...) (21 years ago, 10-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

          Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —David Eaton
       (...) There's slews of costs. The biggest one is overhead. Something has to pay for your free S@H catalogs, the nice woman on the phone you phone your order in to, the OTHER people who work there to make sure you talked to that woman quickly instead (...) (21 years ago, 10-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

          Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Kevin Johnston
      (...) Sorry, I slightly misread the original (see last sentence I was replying to), but still a slightly different point: what I mean is that a BL's seller's cost-per-brick may well be competitive or better than S@H's *regardless* of non-obvious (...) (21 years ago, 11-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Benjamin Medinets
     . (...) But you haven't thought about the volume buying large-scale retailers have done. They have excess inventory so they can reduce the price on it so cheaply that other buyers like Troy can get sets for reduced cost. Its a shame on one hand, on (...) (21 years ago, 10-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent? —Bruce Hietbrink
   (...) But the seller isn't buying the bulk bricks from TLG and then directly reselling them. Instead, the seller buys a $10 set that has five less common pieces. Let's say he can sell those pieces for $2 each, then there are a bunch of other, more (...) (21 years ago, 11-Sep-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory)