 General / 42671
Re: Strange plate bottom variant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:58:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
Browsing through my collection 2x8 white sleeper plates for my blue track,
I noticed a bottom-variant I haven't seen before. I know the old waffle-
bottom and the current tube-bottom variants, but this is a variant on the
tube-bottom plate: not all studs have a hole below them. But all studs
are present at the top and all have 'LEGO' on them.
This plate is the middle one on the picture:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~niels-karsdorp/ldraw/question/plates.jpg

Does anyone know about this variant?

  That's a Samsonite-era plate, from the early 70's, I believe.  I scored a
dozen or so from an Ebay lot.  Did you happen to notice if the LEGO logo is
slightly different from the modern incarnation?  I seem to recall that the
lettering was more rounded than the current style.  Also, do the studs on the
surface of the plate have a little ridge around their rims?

  Dave!