 General / 42558
Re: Automated fulfillment? Picking and Packing on steroids?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:50:37 GMT

Tommy, I’ve gotta echo what Jeff said. It’s a great idea, and one many Lego CAD users have had at one time or another. TLC even alluded to such a system when the first teased the Lego Digital Designer (or whatever it’s called).

BUT, it is a nightmare to implement. Think about the manufacturing process. What if your MOC only needed one or two of some obscure part/color combination, but the mold for said part produces a shot of, say, 30. What do they do with the other 28 parts? Multiply that “waste” by every part in every MOC, and you get the idea.

I think that the time will eventually come, but don’t hold your breath. At best, they’ll be able to offer a limited element/color set. Alas, my hopes of ever holding a physical manifestation of Bram Lambrecht’s pink hover-caddy in my hands will probably never come true...

James Wilson
Dallas, TX
Lugnet member 1783