 General / 42511
42510  |  42512
Subject:
LEGO(tm) Lumber Units
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:32:33 GMT

I am currently buliding a large building and need to span long distances (i.e.,
24+ studs) I was using a post-and-beam method with 1x8 bricks and stacks of 2x2
bricks. I found that this was very fragile. I then moved to using very long
beams (24+ studs) laminated from 1x plates. Based on their use in my building I
have been calling these beams and the 1x (mostly 1x6) plates "LEGO(tm) lumber).
(I also call baseplate cut from a 48x48 gray LEGO(tm) plywood). This is due to
my interest in woodworking. This structure is dramatically stronget especially
if the beam goes around one or more corners (is L or U shaped or even a full
rectangle)

Recenty S@H offered 1x6 white plates on discount (perfect timing) and I bought
10 packs (should have bought (20+). And I thought to myself:

"If you put these ten packs together as one big beam (three plates high) it
would be 1000 studs long. I have 1000 board-studs of LEGO(tm) lumber!!!"

This was the woodworking sneaking in (In the US lumber is sold by the board-foot
which is 1 foot square and an inch thick or the equavalent volume 144 cubic
inches. Metric probably has something similar).

This leads the the question:

Is a "board-stud" 1 stud x 1 stud x 1 plate or 1 stud x 1 stud x 1 brick

This is clearly a burning question which is worthy of a Poll but I could not
figure how to create one starting and the lugnet home page

Lester