 General / 42283
Re: Town without AFOL's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.dk, lugnet.loc.se, lugnet.loc.no
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 12:24:12 GMT

I had a similar expirience some time ago.

On our yearly "Round-trip in Estonia 2003" was passed through Valga/Valka on
Sunday. Valga/Valka is a small city 4-5 hours from here at the Latvian
border (that's why it has 2 names - the border goes through people's
gardens. Just to get the mail they need their passport!) with some 12000
sleepy citizens.

Anyway, there are 2-3 toyshops there, and in one of them I noticed some old
sets. Of course I see that on a Sunday.
The good thing is that a friend is going there soon and he will buy some
things for me...

I have been driving places to get sets, but 5 hours to get to the shop is
too much. Not that expensive though, some 20 USD for a return ticket, but
the sets are not that much worth,

Sonnich

In lugnet.general, Arne Lykke Nielsen writes:
I have found a town completely devoid of any AFOLs. Proof: set 383 being on
the shelf of a toy store for 25 years without being bought!!!
The town is Helsingborg in Sweden, the shop is a combined
bicycle-and-toy-shop(at Södergatan/Bollbrogatan).
This shop has 1000's of old toywares (like lots of Playmobil and LEGO), and
nothing is newer than 1995. I've done some very nice buying there for the
last couple of weeks (6080, 6384, Fabuland etc.), but still there are so
many old LEGO sets left on the shelves - not to the prices 25 years ago, but
only slightly updated (e.g. 6080 for 698 SKr = 70$, originally 59$ in 1984).
As I have strained my financial means seriously now, I'm giving the address
to this gem to the LUGNET community, so other AFOL's can have their dreams
come through.

[snip]