 General / 42260
Re: is this legal?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 22:49:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Colin Bell writes:
I thought this was against the 'acceptable use' policy? Or have I missed
something?

     It's quite illegal.  TLC holds the copyright on all of their original
instructions, and while you are legally allowed to auction factory-original
instruction booklets (since you're selling the item, not the info), selling
reproductions of them is a different story.  While TLC is okay with people
posting instructions online with free public access once they hit the five
year mark, actually turning a profit off of CD copies is likely to invoke
their ire.  From the Fair Play Policy:

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/fairplay.asp

Scanning Of Copyrighted Materials Into A Web Site
The LEGO Group owns the copyrights to its building instructions,
publications and to the photographs used in our catalogs and on our
packages. Copying, scanning and distributing these materials on the Internet
would be an infringement of our copyrights. Nevertheless, at the present
time the LEGO Group does not object to scanning of limited extracts of these
materials in unaltered form for non-commercial purposes of exchange of
information or good faith commentary.

     That "non-commercial purposes" bit is the hang-up for auctioning off
CDs containing scans of their original copyrighted instructions.