 General / 41873
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:17:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.general, Damien Guichard writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Over the better part of the last year, I've done a lot of thinking about the
LEGO hobby and the LEGO community, trying to develop a philosophy on it
which I use to channel my efforts, energies, and interactions. I'm
interested in hearing others' thoughts on the LEGO community.
-Tim

I am sure it also happened to you: you see a thumbnail on BrickShelf and
immediatly you know who is the model author. Lego is much more unlimited
than i thought at first. Each builder has unique building style and
techniques. And also a unique building process, from carefully chosen
individual bricks, to wild assembly.

The good news:
Your experience with lego is both intimate and unlimited.

The bad news:
You experience it alone. You can't share it. You share only excitement.

So, in a certain sense, the lego community includes everybody but excludes
everyone.

Hi Damien -
I'm afraid I don't totally understand what you're getting at. I've built
projects with other LEGO fans, and shared the experience of building
projects with them. I've built things that would not have become what they
did were it not for both, or all parties involved. To me, that's sharing the
LEGO experience.

-Tim

Yes, that's sharing building experience and you are lucky.
My only sharing experience ended with "i don't need you, i have more lego
than you anyway".

Ok you share building experience.
I mean you don't share building skills.
You construct your own building skills.
But they may be usefull only to you.
Because chances are that your building style is unique.
And should another be interest by your building skills, you have no tutorial
to help. Little or no effort has been made to flatten the learning curve.

This is particularly obvious for kids.
Lego is very difficult and kids are so impatient.
They will not try and fail a thousand times.
So they just renunce, then grow and most of them will forget lego forever.
And the opportunity of more play value has been lost.
Building tutorials (not only building instructions) could help but none is
available. Of course there is no right or wrong way to play with lego. That
should not be an excuse for no tutorial: each significant building style
could have its own tutorial.

Seems like expert builders are more interested in building innovation than
in sharing skills. That is the absence of sharing i speak about.

Damien