 General / 41849
Re: Quantifying and Classifying the LEGO Community
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:24:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:
**Over time**
The LEGO Community as we know it today started to take shape via the first
few local LEGO clubs. Then came the Internet and with it a way for LEGO fans
everywhere to pool their creativity and share with each other across time
and around the world. Many LEGO communities have been around for years
(Lugnet) and some are more recent (BZ Power) and some are still yet to come
as we come out with cool new products and concepts.

This seems to say that Lugnet is old.  In my mind, Lugnet is still one of
the more recent LEGO communities.  When alt.toys.lego (which came years
before rec.toys.lego) became a Usenet newsgroup, it certainly met your
definition of a community.  Following it was rec.toys.lego (rec.* groups
being more widely distributed and respected than alt.* groups), and it was
certainly a community too.  I still think of Lugnet as a second generation
online LEGO community (with the Usenet newsgroups alt.toys.lego and
rec.toys.lego being the first generation online communitites).

I'm not even sure how old alt.toys.lego really is.   A quick Google search
shows it alive back in 1993, but I'm not sure they have the first messages.
I'm not sure Lugnet was even a figment of Todd's imagination back in 1993.  :-)