 General / 41603
Re: Interesting...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 06:34:54 GMT

In lugnet.build.minifigs, Nathan Wells writes:
Just wondering,

Just about everyone knows about the
"If-LEGO-can-make-Shaq-and-Kobe-minifigs-then-why-can't-they-make-Windu-and-Lando-minifigs?"
argument, and the common reply is something like "Kobe and Shaq and real
people, Lando and Windu are not.  Therefore, LEGO will not release a
fictional character that is not Caucasian."  Both arguments are good, but
what about this minor detail:

Some Studios sets contain a minifig that looks suspiciously Steven
Spielberg, and he's yellow.  Isn't Spielberg a 'real' person?

Your thoughts on this puzzling subject?

Nathan

Lord of the LEGO

Ironically, LEGO does this to avoid any controversy about race.  Their
argument is that if they do release Mace in a brown color, yellow will
automatically represent caucasian.  But LEGO considers yellow to be yellow,
not caucasian, black, red or green.  They say that yellow is not caucasian
and I believe it's not.  The NBA figs show this real well as the caucasian
players are tan, not yellow.

Now, I too want to see a Windu and Lando Minifig, but although I would love
it if they were brown, I wouldn't mind, I would maybe even prefer if they
were brown.  Not because I'm racist.  I'm not.  But because that way,
they'll be making a clear statement that yellow is yellow, not caucasian nor
black.  Unfortunately, many people don't agree with this argument and it's
why LEGO hasn't yet released those minifigs.

If they do release them in any other color than yellow, people will have an
argument to say that LEGO is racist because the only minifigs representing
black people are these 2.  They'll cry out loud that more black Minifigs
should be released.  Which would, in that situation, be true.

Remeber the native americans?  They were yellow, although real Natives are
not caucasians.  Same applies for OrientExpedition Minifigs.  You see,
Minifigs are not humans.  They are plastic little people and they should all
remain yellow.  It's not, IMO, racism, it's marketing.  It's avoiding the
best they can any racial controversy that could arise if they did release
black minifigs.

So let's hope they do release Lando AND Mace Windu in yellow ASAP so that
question can be once and for all put behind us.

Just my 2 cents,

Terry
www.rotule.qc.ca

PS: As for Zinedine Zidane and Steven Spieldberg, they are yellow, not tan,
so it goes with the main argument that yellow is not caucasian, although
caucasians can be yellow, just as blacks can be yellow, natives can be
yellow, etc.