 General / 41562
Re: Poll: Part mods?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:03:52 GMT

Tobbe Arnesson wrote:

Hi all!

Despite the risk of creating a faulty poll that will be analyzed and doomed to
death here's another poll:
http://members.lugnet.com/polls/ballots/?n=147

I want to know what you feel about part modifications.

If you feel like it, please open up here as well.

Your poll asks a reasonable set of questions, though I think answering
is really best done in text because within each category you listed,
people may actually have different divisions. My ratings below really
reflect my inclination to do any given thing. They do affect how I judge
other MOCs though.

So my thoughts:

Removing print: if this is done to give you more of a part that already
exists in that color but without printing, then I'd put acceptability
about and 8 or 9. If the part is only available printed in that color,
then the acceptability drops to 6 or 7.

Lubricating parts: I'd pretty much give this a 10, though lubricating
something that was never lubricated by TLC might be a 9.

Cutting parts: This splits into several categories:
   Baseplates: if cutting to sizes available from TLC: 10 (if you look
at
      any baseplate smaller than 32x32 (excepting perhaps the very old
      ones in now non-standard size), you will see that TLC cuts
      32x32 baseplates to get the smaller ones. If cutting to a standard
      size, but in a color never in that size, I'd drop it to 8. If
      cutting to a non-standard size, I'd drop it to 7. Cutting a 48x48
      grey baseplate to standard available grey baseplate sizes might
      be a 9 (my feeling is TLC gets the smaller plates by cutting 32x32
      baseplates not 48x48).
   Tubing: since TLC has provided instructions to cut these to size, I
      rate cutting for your own uses as a 9 or 10. This includes the
      rod sized stiff tubing and pneumatic tubing. Cutting the larger
      ribbed tubing would be like a 5.
   Axles and other parts cut down to a smaller standard size: 5
   Parts cut to make a new part: 4
   Stickers: 7

Non-LEGO elements: again division
   Stickers/Decals: 5
   Cloth parts (i.e. new pirate sails): 5
   Paint: 3
   Clone parts: 3

So far the things I have done from this list:

- Had custom sails made for my Wolfpack ships
- Made a Mega Bloks truck in memory of an amusing highway scene. One day
leaving work, I hit a traffic jam on the highway, presumably an
accident. When I got up to the incident, it wasn't quite an accident. A
truck trailer had broken, and the main part of the trailer was sitting
in a traffic lane with the main beam resting on the road. The cab was on
the shoulder, with the front part of the trailer still dangling from the
hitch. Later that evening or the next day, I went out and bought two
Mega Bloks sets to make a recreation. My mental caption for the creation
has the two Mega Bloks figures saying: "Gosh, we should have bought the
LEGO truck." This of course is in honor of the lower clutch power of
Mega Bloks. I just wish I had a picture of the scene.
- I have made use of the engraved bricks from brick con badges.
- I am planning on having some bricks engraved to make range sticks for
the Pirate Game.
- I do have some clone sets, purchased to get access to some
accessories. I have yet to use them in creations, and may eventually
give up on the idea.

All of the above is based on why I find working with LEGO interesting. I
enjoy working with the limitations of the part and color palette
available. I am more open minded about stickers and sails because they
are decoration, but when used to radically bypass the palette, I'm less
excited about them. I can conceive of using clone parts in creations
because there is still a limit to the palette, however, I have some
reservations on the use of clone parts:

- Their manufacturing tolerances are not as tight so they don't clutch
as well and often look rougher and less polished. There may also be more
color variation.
- Different plastic that causes some of the clutch and surface texture
issues, and generally causes the parts to not "feel" right.
- There is less attention paid to the geometry. Sometimes the clones
will have rods and pins and such that are non-standard sizes. Another
related thing is the fact that the new Mega Bloks castle baseplates
don't tesselate properly (though the "ragged" edges do look nice).
- There are non-standard sizes  such as Tyco's 2 plates to a brick
(though this at least still works well with the geometry) or Bestloks
non-standard brick and plate heights.
- Incompatibility of hinge parts (plus less standardization of hinged
parts)
- Less dedication to long running themes (though TLC is getting bad
here) that results in a very tiny palette of parts in some areas.
- Highly detailed parts that don't feel like they match with TLC parts.
The best example here are the current Mega Bloks castle sets that just
don't mesh well at all with LEGO in my mind.
- While the clones may seem to use specialized parts less often, when
they do, they seem even more specialized (like the 3 piece siege weapons
in the Mega Bloks castle sets, or the huge tree in one of the older Mega
Bloks castle sets, or the viking ship hull that would be hard to use as
anything else).

Frank