 General / 41124
41123  |  41125
Subject:
Critiquing and Dragonstar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:26:30 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Neumann writes:
Also, developing the space in ourselves that allows anyone to say anything
about our creations (even the bad stuff) really helps get feedback on a
bigger level.  It's very understandable why lurkers lurk when they see the
hassle that they ~may~ encounter when they say what they see.

my 2 cents on the way here (-paul)

1) despite any criticisms, we really gotta admit that
it takes a lot of time and effort and thought to even do
something as "simple" as putting a fat yellow line around
a really big box.  Dan deserves much credit for his ability
to diversify within a theme.  I mean, come on, Chris does
it in his preclassicspace niche and its really great to
see that, so why can't dan do it in his niche.

2) every builder has a style (even j0n) and in general over
time a builder may have a few mocs that really extend the
limits of that builder's approach to building but on the whole
there will be some sense of 'style' to each builder.

3) as far as critiquing goes
we really should be cool enough about it to want
feedback to be "on a bigger level."  When Bram and I
started talking (long before we actually met) we cut a deal:
you critique me, and i'll critique you, and we won't
get all hussy about it.  Now that's fine between two
builders, and to some degree even in .space, but as i've
said before, its pretty much always good to start your
critique with

"here's all the stuff about it that i like...."

and then move on to the suggestions and critiqueing

as i said
my 2 cents

:-)

-paul