 General / 39986
Re: LEGEND sets in stores?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:40:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Josh Opotzner writes:
I just got back from TRU.  I had my $10 off $50 Star Wars LEGO coupon in my
pocket; I anticipated buying the $30 Jabba's Palace and TIE Bomber together
for $45, then toss in a Jabba's Prize to break $50.  I walked into the store
and at the front was a large display of LEGO products, at least 70% of which
was Harry Potter.  It didn't take me long to confirm that there was no SW to
be found there, and kept marching right on to the standard LEGO section.

But blah; they had little more than the T-16 Skyhopper.  They had sold
practically everything since my last visit (yesterday).  I navigate through
the crowd towards the front and am about to leave, but defying hope I walk
back to the display at the front.

Harry Potter.  Feh.  Bionicle.  Feh.  1990 Town Set.  Fe--1990 TOWN SET??!!!

In a far corner of the shelf it shone like a beam of light, a symbol of hope
in a war-scarred and corrupted world...the world that we used to know as
LEGOLAND.

Breezeway Cafe.  In a yellow box.  And right next to it, Pizza To Go, in a
blue box.  Just like I remember it.  I could have wept.
So...many...classic...smilies...in one set...

There is new hope for us.  Old sets-at retail.  No calling up, paying
shipping, and waiting.  Ohhh no.  You can go to the store and buy them and
rush home and open the box in a maniacal rage, laughing madly as 5 classic
smiley heads grin at you through the little bags, just like it was years ago.

<calms down> whoo OK...the sets were $19.99 each...yes both of them.  With
the BOGO 50% off, I got both for $30.  (of course I tossed in a few of those
1000 piece creator buckets too...eight 1x2 trans light-blue bricks per
bucket?!  Dayum).  If I must come up with a gripe, the Cafe has the terrible
new style heavy-cardboard packaging.  Big whoop.  I didn't find my Star
Wars, but I still made out pretty darn good.  All the normal bricks!  And
town stuff!

I think that the Breezeway Cafe has double significance: I believe that this
is the first time it was ever available at retail in the US.

--Josh

Hehe.  I was at the Chicago Lego Store in North Bridge, they had the 2003
sets, a new shipment of it all is coming in Saturday. (I nabbed the last
AT-TE, no T-16's, they sold out, plenty of jabba palace stuff)  Anyways,
they had all that, and the Metroliner, as well.  They also had the Statue of
Liberty.  :-D

P.S. The Basketball stuff has bad heads, very very bad heads.

~Evan Butzlaff